We all have those nights. Either we have to study and have no choice but to pull an all nighter, or, we just can’t sleep and there is nothing we can do about it. Either way, the next day we feel AWFUL. We have no energy, are irritable, and can’t concentrate. Luckily, there are ways (besides sleep) that you can up your energy and make it through your day. Although these things won’t make you feel like you had a full night of sleep, they will allow you to at least have a bearable day.
The first trick you can try is to take a super cold shower when you wake up, or when you have to start your day. The cold water will completely shock your body and as a result make you feel more alert and awake.
Drink TONS of green tea! Green tea is a good source of energy and usually doesn’t give people as much jitters as things such as coffee. Do make sure that you eat when you drink green tea, otherwise you will end up crashing.
Eat a energy filled breakfast! Things like egg omelets, yogurt and granola, oatmeal, and veggie protein filled breakfast burritos are great things to have!
Eat snacks throughout the day to keep your energy up. Nuts, apples, kind bars, and veggies with hummus are all good to have on hand!
Start your day with a little YOGA. As a yoga teacher, I know how much yoga can be used to energize yourself. Try this easy flow right when you wake up:
- Start standing with your arms by your side
- Inhale your arms up overhead
- Exhale fold forward bringing your fingertips to the floor
- Inhale plant your hands on the floor and step back into a pushup position
- Exhale lower yourself down onto the mat
- Inhale lift head,neck,and chest off of the mat
- Exhale lower back down
- Inhale press back up to a high push-up position
- Exhale press your hips back, chest towards the floor (downward dog)
- Inhale step back to a forward fold
- Inhale to stand
This flow will wake you up and energize you!
Personally, I didn’t sleep last night, so I will definitely be using all of these tricks today!